Commit To Happiness Daily
Commit to happiness daily and your life will improve. This is one of the six steps in our happiness plan. As a reminder, here they all are:
Happiness Audit. We can’t know if we are happy until we know what makes us happy. The happiness audit will fill in the blanks for us.
Commit To Happiness Daily. Every morning, make the commitment to yourself that you will do something that makes you happy.
Be Grateful. To me, more than anything else on this list, gratitude is the path to happiness.
Be Mindful. If you live on auto-pilot, you often miss out on the best moments of your life. By being mindful, you become aware of the moments in your day. And, remember, we are only guaranteed this moment.
Be A Good Friend. A lot of research points to the tie between happiness and close, personal connections. But to have a good friend, you must first be one.Buy me a coffee
Happiness is your decision.
You decide to be happy or not. No one else, no outside influence controls your level of happiness. It is all in the way you choose to view life. And what you choose affects your performance in all areas of your life. That is why it is so important to make the decision to be happy, to commit to happiness, daily. Your brain is a remarkable instrument that is really open to suggestion. Just feeding your brain a few positive thoughts each morning helps it produce the right neurotransmitters to assure your happiness. It knows you are fooling it, but goes along for the ride anyway.
Remember, we’re not trying to take a giant leap to happiness. We are chipping away at our negative thoughts and emotions to uncover a little bit more happiness each day.
I believe – and science suggests – that gratitude is one of the most important elements behind human happiness. That’s why I have it at the top of my Commit To Happiness Daily checklist below. Review this each morning, and I guarantee you will have a better, happier day. You don’t have to do all of them each day, but you should always do the top five on the list.
- I will express gratitude for my friends, family and blessings today
- I will exercise today. Doesn’t have to be strenuous, just get up and move.
- I will meditate or practice mindfulness today
- I will connect with a friend today
- I will plan one fun activity today
- I will do something nice for a friend today
- I will smile at one stranger today
- I will eat healthily today
- I will listen to music that makes me happy
- I will learn something new today
- I will accept responsibility for my own actions
- I know today will be a good day
- I will praise or compliment someone today
Other Ways To Commit To Happiness Daily
- If you love someone, tell them. Often.
- Spend quality time with your family.
- Be a good listener.
- Perform random acts of kindness, anonymously if possible.
- Read something positive.
- Stop watching or reading the news.
- Take a walk.
- Get enough sleep.
- Avoid gossip.
- Give back – either by donating money, or volunteering to help.
- Get up early.
- Hang out with positive people.
- Treat your family and friends with as much kindness and respect as you do strangers.
- Attend the momentous events in the lives of your friends and family, particularly your kids and grandkids. There’s only one first day of school.
- Putting others down to make yourself feel better is counterproductive.
- Drink water. A lot of it.
- Be on time.
- Do what you say you are going to do, when you say you are going to do it.
- Stop checking social media or using your phone when you are spending time with friends and family. It’s just rude.
- Unsolicited advice is never welcomed. So, keep it to yourself.
- Take action. Procrastination negatively affects your mood.
- Return phone calls.
- It’s OK to make mistakes. Learn from them.
- Always say please and thank you.
- Edit your possessions and only keep the ones that really bring you joy.
- Don’t hold a grudge. (I’m still working on this one.)
- Connect with new people each week.
- Not everyone is going to like you, and that’s OK.
- Pay attention to your breath to make sure you are breathing deeply.
- Don’t sit at your desk for hours on end. Get up and move at least once per hour.
- Take a walk in nature.
- You will not be happy all the time. That’s OK. Find something on this list to boost your mood.
Got any other ways to commit to happiness daily?
Get The Full Happiness Plan & More…
My new book, Get Glad: Your Practical Guide To A Happier Life, puts this whole plan together and walks you through the steps to help get you to a happier place. Pick up your copy: